Thursday 6 February 2014

Pre-Assignment Training

Good day all, 

Sorry about the silence, the last few weeks have been pretty busy. Lots of oncalls/night shifts, a quick sunny holiday to celebrate my 30th birthday with some amazing friends, early send off parties from the 'Paeds Happy girls' (thanks for my birthday/goodbye cake) and now am in London for the RCPCH much anticipated pre-assignment training pre Jinja.  It is really happening people! In less than a month I will be in Uganda. I must be nervous since my pre event insomnia seems to have set it, hence why I am up at this hour updating you all. 

The course/training starts tomorrow and is over 9 days at the college, it covers topics such as child health in low resource settings, teaching in training, the all important security training as well as quality control. Aside from the very official trainings, this is also an opportunity to meet with the other Uk doctors going to different parts of Africa as well as our African trained colleges coming here to work in various hospitals all over the country. Oh I also get to hang out with the other UK paediatrician coming to Jinja as well. 

A few of us are staying at the Indian YMCA during the course, the accommodation was organised by Global link  and  although I was initially apprehensive I must say  the rooms are really lovely, it is pretty central, ideal for us Northerners arriving into London Euston and the food isn't too bad either. I finally met the famous Peter Nash (RCPCH Global links Manager) last night at dinner with a few of volunteers from Africa (Nigeria, Ghana, Uganda and Kenya).  It was nice to finally put a face to Peter's name, he has been extremely helpful over the last 9months or so and I must add incredibly patient. Thanks Peter!

Dinner with colleagues from different parts of Africa was fun and informative,  explaining my dual nationality was a little confusing, the other doctor weren't sure which camp I belonged to, UK or Africa.   I spent a lot of time explaining that I belong to both camps ,  I am both Nigerian and British but live and trained in the UK; therefore never worked in any African hospital before and that this will be my first experience.  I got some light teasing from the Nigerian doctors who were not happy that I wasn't going to Nigeria instead. The Ugandan paediatrician seemed really amused by my looming predicament, I wasn't really sure what to make of it.  In short I got the impression that I am In for a shock! Best to be prepared hey! 


Best go back to bed! Tres excited about going to RCPCH tomorrow, very fancy! I wonder if the floors are made of Gold. I shall go find out and will keep you posted. Until then au revoir  or shall I say Mweraba 

No comments:

Post a Comment