Thursday 27 February 2014

Introducing Dr Sarah.......


3 flights and 4 airports later, we have arrived in Uganda safely! Despite the daunting connections, everything ran smoothly. The only stressful part  for me was lugging around my  50+ kg  worth of luggage through these airports (great work out for the upper arm), serves me right for bringing so many chocolates.

 
The  RCPCH GL team and the UPA (Ugandan Paediatrics Association) team have been exceptional and pretty much thought about everything.  I promise neither team have paid me to sing their praises, I am just super impressed! Both Sarah and I got our visas easily on arrival at the airport, within half an hour we were out with our luggages and meet by the lovely Nowella from UPA.  So far so good, couldn't have gone any better.

It is 28 degrees today and the sun is shining brightly.  You will be hearing a lot about Sarah over the next 5.2 months,  I mentioned her briefly on the pre assignment training post. She is a paediatric doctor from Belfast who has completed her training (post ST8) and is also a RCPCH Global links volunteer like me.  We travelled together from heathrow and are both going to be in Jinja, Sarah is staying for a whole year though! I'm very glad we are here together, it is a blessing to have someone here who appreciates the issues living and working in a new country poses.

We will be spending the next 2 days sorting out our work permit and Ugandan licence to practise in Kampala as well as getting inducted by the UPA.  At the end of the week we will both be off to Jinja to start our adventures on Monday, so stay tuned.....

5 comments: