Saturday 15 February 2014

Epic Wobble #Emotionalroller-coaster

Whoa! What a week, the title of this post best describes how I have felt over the last few days. The pre-assignment course is an eye opener and I will highly recommend it, over the last few days I have experienced every emotion under the sun but rest assured I am still going to Uganda. I will start on a lighter note, and report back to you all that the floors at RCPCH college are not paved in gold, it does however  have great views, serve excellent coffee and great food.

Spending time with other volunteers as well as colleagues currently working in the countries we are heading to has been fun and  highly informative. The background knowledge and advice we have all received are second to none.  Despite this glowing recommendation, the course has been the source of my current wobble. In spite of my previously said organisational skills, I often take a 'ignorance is bliss' approach to life and I'm afraid this highly informative course had well and truly taken away some of this bliss. That said, I am incredibly thankful that Global links organised this training and have put such efforts into inducting us all so well.

Without a doubt I am going to Uganda, however I spent a significant amount of time evaluating the situation, questioning my resilience and in fact my medical acumen. My self doubts and analysis  reminds me of a book written by Dr Emily Joy titled 'Green oranges on the lion mountain'. This UK based doctor describes her first mission to Sierra Leone pre war. The book poignantly portrayed how she turned down the first post after a pre assignment short course in how to become a surgeon in a day, then subsequently built up her courage to go on the next mission offered and eventually finding her feet in Sierra Leone in a very entertaining Bridget Jones manner. It is a must read for the doubting thomases out there like myself.  Through many faux pas and blunders this lady manages to cope, help and make an impact on some peoples lives in her own way.    I hope my story take a similar but less dramatic route.  Apparently "doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will". In the absence of such optimism here are some top coping tips that might make your stay abroad a little smoother.

  • Take some pictures from home and treats with you e.g. Chocolate
  • Buddy up! If you are going with someone always update each other
  • Update the Queen- register at the high commission
  • Upload your important documents including passport onto the iCloud/g drive or take copies.
  • Don't be a tourist- no flashy goods or dresses, also familiarise yourself with the area and the local culture
  •  Look after #1- exercise, sleep, treats, holidays and down times are essential
  • A good laugh is just as therapeutic as a good cry, avoid burn out.
  • Be careful with public transport
  • Keep calm and call someone on the GL team
  • If all else fails  have someone ready to book you a flight back home ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment